Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Resource Wednesday 09/01/10

Today I'd like to share with you the ministry of Nancy Leigh DeMoss at Revive Our Hearts (http://www.reviveourhearts.com/). Nancy is an author and speaker who calls women to be women of prayer and women of the Word of God. Revive Our Hearts ministry has a daily radio program heard on stations around the country (personally, I podcast it).

Recently, at the end of a program, Nancy addressed this question: "What are some tips that you could give to women who want to be writers some day?"

She gave some very practical advice in this area and then she said this: "In all you do, serve the Lord where you are. Use the opportunities He gives you. Take advantage of those, and then see what doors God opens up to develop those skills in those areas. In my case, I have never sought after or aspired to the things I am doing in ministry, whether it is speaking or writing or leading a ministry. I didn't set out to do any of those things. I set out to love the Lord, to know Him, to know and love His word, and to serve in whatever ways would bring Him the greatest glory. So, I have done a lot of different things that are not very glamorous, a lot of things that are behind the scenes. I have spoken to many very small groups. I found it was important in those years that I not be discontent with that, that I pour my heart into it when its 10 people as much as if it were 10,000 people. I found it was important not to measure success in ministry by how big it was or how famous I was. With bigness and fame come also some other temptations and challenges. God knows if and when someone is ready for that......serve wherever God has you, in your local church, in your dorm, in your workplace. Ask God to open doors to serve and to minister....."

I find that this advice she gave is the same attitude she takes when writing her books, speaking to groups of women, and the same attitude that drives her radio program. I recommend checking out this ministry for some worthwhile resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 5th chemo session with Taxol. 5 down 7 to go. I'm happy to report it was pretty uneventful as chemo days go. I didn't h...