Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Resource Wednesday 03/17/10

I thought this resource Wednesday it would be appropriate to talk about something I do with my older nieces and nephews called "Feed the Starving Teenagers". I pick a book. I read it. They read it. If they make arrangements with me to get together and talk about the book, they receive a monetary gift (an agreed upon amount). So far, I've read two books with my niece, Meghan (14) and two books with my nephew, Joe (17). They are currently both working on the book of Daniel (in the Bible).

Joe finished Daniel and came over this evening to discuss it. Joe has grown up in the Catholic faith. He is currently learning the value of Scripture. He's searching it out for himself. He had an amazing retention of the book of Daniel. He read it several times to try to grasp it. It was a great discussion, which led to many other discussions of biblical topics (Joe lives to debate). I encouraged Joe to continue to search the Scriptures for himself and to be sure that he is trusting in Christ alone for his salvation.

I sent him home with another book, 10 Books That Screwed up the World and 5 Others That Didn't Help (good book, questionable title) by Benjamin Wiker. This book takes a look at 15 other books from the 1500's through the 1900's that have greatly influenced secular thinking.

I would encourage you to consider this book-reading practice (affectionately called "Feed the Starving Teenagers") with the teenagers in your life or some other similar activity that will allow you to engage in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cookie Baking Night 09/25/17

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Allison, Rylar, and Enzo. Tonight we made pumpkin bars.  ...